Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

... on doing good



Galations 6:7-10 says, 
“Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. 9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”
I think we are all challenged at many random points in our lives to do good. All I can think of sometimes is, “Really Lord?! I’m supposed to do good in THIS situation?!” I feel myself in silent protest when faced with the opportunity to do good. Especially if there are people out there that I feel really don’t deserve goodness. I mean really, what does God expect of us? Everyone … to do good … to ALL? Is there a limit on what “all” is? Can it be all, except (*fill in the blank*)?
Daily I am faced with situations where I feel that pursing my lips, furrowing my brows, crossing my arms and stampeding away would be the best answer. There are even those times where a situation might be so frustrating that it leaves me feeling like I don’t even want to do good to those closest to me. And because of these pressures coming from all different directions we choose to be selfish, stand there and let the opportunity for us to do good slip away from us.
But, then you get a call from a friend who says his dad just found out they have cancer. Or an email from another friend who says their aunt just passed away. And in that wide-eyed moment of a reality-check any thoughts of wanting to stampede away and any selfish feelings from frustrating situations have been dissolved. You stand there left with two things: God and Love.
There is so much hurt and so much pain in the world. Would it really hurt us to do good to others, to love unconditionally, and to care deeply?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. That "perspective" stuff really changes the way we look at things. Crazy. Good thoughts. Keep em' comin.

    ReplyDelete